RETURNS AND LAYBY POLICY

LAYBY POLICY

Layby is available for items with a value of $200 or greater.

A minimum deposit of 10% up front is required, with the remaining 90% to be in instalments or upon collection of your layby.

The maximum term of a layby is 8 weeks from commencement of layby.

A restocking fee of 10% of total layby value will be deducted from any cancelled layby.

RETURN/ EXCHANGE POLICY

SportsPower Mandurah and Miami Plaza Falcon will return or exchange a product if the customer;

  1. Has a receipt, and;
  2. The products are in an unused and saleable condition
    • With tags attached and hygiene seals in place and;
    • Packaging in new condition

The product can be exchanged for a replacement product or exchanged for a gift card.

special orders can only be returned if the product is damaged or faulty.

HOLD POLICY

SportsPower Mandurah and Miami Plaza Falcon will hold an item for up to 3 hours with the following conditions:

  1. A name and mobile number is provided
  2. A phone call will be made, or text message sent at the 3 hours hold expiry time, whereby the customer can:
    1. Decline the hold whereby the stock goes back on the shelf
    2. Agree to purchase the item by making phone credit card payment, specifying a pick-up or delivery time and date
  3. If no response is received from the customer within 30 minutes of the phone/ message being sent, the stock will return to the shelf
  4. If there is demand for the same product by another customer within the 3 hours hold time, then the original customer with the product on hold will be contacted and given the first opportunity to purchase the product whereby:
    1. The original customer can decline the hold whereby the product is sold to the new customer.
    2. The original customer can agree to purchase the item by making phone credit card payment, specifying a pick-up or delivery time and date.